Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

How to make brussels sprouts taste, gasp, good!



It's quite possibly the most feared and loathed vegetable by children everywhere---brussels sprouts. Is it weird that I actually like brussels sprouts? I didn't actually have my first one until I was in my mid-twenties (I think I'm past that age bracket now - yikes) and was amazed at how pretty and tasty they were.

Proponents in the brussels sprouts camp (i.e., Whole Foods) claim the following:
  • They lower cholesterol
  • They protect your DNA (don't ask me to explain the science behind this)
  • They help protect you against cancer
  • They can detox your body
It's almost too easy, but making brussels sprouts taste good is just that. If you are buying from the stem, pull the buds off gently. Most of the time, you'll see them off the stem and prewashed. That's fine too. Cut them in half removing the first layer. Throw them on a pan with a little olive oil. Then add tiny chunks of chorizo (that's the secret ingredient). Add sugar (it's tastier with raw sugar cane) and a couple teaspoons of soy sauce (low sodium if you have it). Saute on the pan for several minutes and out comes magic.

Thanks to Whitney who taught me this recipe originally with green beans instead of brussels sprouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment