Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beet and feta salad

Beets are another one of those things that I didn't try until a couple years ago. I'm glad I did. Here's a recipe for a tasty, easy salad:

Ingredients:
  • Lettuce (I like arugula or spinach because the beets are sweet)
  • Beets
  • Feta cheese
  • Walnuts (optional)
  1. Boil the beets for about 15 minutes. I've actually never timed it because I wait until the water boils and stick a fork in a beet until it's squishy.
  2. Pour cold water over the beets and let them cool. Then take of the skin using a spoon; it should fall off pretty easily.
  3. Cut the beets into slices or half moons--your choice. Beware, the beets get everywhere, but it'll come off with water.
  4. Top with feta cheese and walnuts. Done!
I don't use any dressing because I think it's pretty tasty without it. If you want a more flavorful "dressing," you can mix the beet bits (in small slicess) and feta together in a bowl first, but be warned that it turns to purple cheese.

Speaking of beets, here's also a Trip Advisor review of Schrute Farms in Penn., the fictional farm of Dwight Schrute that we all wish existed.

Thanks to Ranwei at The 4x4 Project for opening my eyes to beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment