Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day!

When I was in college, my roommates thought I was crazy because I would pour leftover grease fat into a glass jar or metal can and freeze it until trash day. They thought the fat jar was so gross, except that I refused to clog up the drains. I was right! ScienceDaily posted an article about how pouring fat down the drain can cause overflow sewers. More fat jars, people!

In other news, I wanted to share some favorite links for more responsible cooking/housekeeping. I keep a box in the closet for clothes donations and electronics (batteries, lightbulbs, cords, printer toner) that I periodically drop off at hardware stores, grocery markets, or local schools. You can search for any nearby drop-off stations by typing in your zip code and the item you want to recycle at Earth911.com.

But the recycling doesn't stop there. Did you know, you can't recycle the caps of water bottles but you can recycle aluminum foil? Real Simple (one of my favorite magazines) has a good online guide about how to recycle unconventional items, such as carpeting, nail clippers, and even crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment