Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Currently reading: Double Delicious

I'm currently reading Double Delicious: Good, Simple Food for Busy, Complicated Lives by Jessica Seinfeld. I know, I know. It's you choice in whether you believe she pulled a Mark Zuckerberg, stealing the idea of her first New York Times bestseller for extolling the virtues of purees. However, it is a well-known secret ingredient to get kids (or in my case, a boyfriend) to eat veggies.

My review of the book: it was worth what I paid (i.e., a free borrowed loan from the library). There are some helpful tidbits:
  • Use a cast-iron skillet. You won't need as much oil to cook your food, and you get the added bonus of more iron in your diet. (When I was running cross country many moons ago, I was iron-deficient. My doctor also told me to use cast-iron skillets or woks.)
  • Store your oils in a dark, cool cabinet---not on your stove. Exposure to oxygen, heat, and light can make them rancid.
  • Use purees. Start with non-green vegetables (cauliflower, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash) because you'll notice the taste less when you mix with other foods.
I will certainly try to add more veggie purees to my meals. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment