Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Karen's favorite things on a budget




Some time back, I posted "Gadgets for the tiny kitchen." Now, I'm sharing some wonderful products that friends gave me during my bridal shower or that I bought myself after spending time in other people's kitchens, experimenting with these.

Here are my favorites that I've personally tested and can vouch for. Buy for yourself or another foodie friend:

Yes, that's right. Just pennies. They're not great for drying dishes (because they're not very thick) but are super cute as napkins.



Ikea upside-down tea light/candle stick holder
$0.49

I got two as gifts and was shocked to find how inexpensive they are. Made of glass, they're heavy enough and save space. Turn them upside down, and use in two ways, depending on the candles you have.





Ikea suction cup dish brush

$1.49

Yes, Ikea has some awesome, cheap stuff. You can stand the brush up to dry and save some save near the kitchen sink. In my tiny gallery kitchen, every inch count.



World Market tea infuser panda mug 
$5.99

Two of my favorite things are pandas and tea. This mug combines them into one.



Grater plate
$7.99 (via Amazon)

I got this during a demonstration at a food show. You can grate garlic, ginger, or onion to prep food so you don't get big chunks of onions, for example. You can also use a hard cheese like Parmesan and just leave the grater plate on the dining table for guests to help themselves during a pasta dinner.

Retro diner mugs
$5.29 (via UBuy Coffee)

This white ceramic mug is like those from 50s diners. It's heavy weight so there's no knocking it over and it keeps coffee warmer for longer. I got Kevin a set of two for Christmas, and they have been our "weekend mugs." If you have a bigger family, you might want to consider buying a few more because people will be fighting for the best mug in the house.

Have some more thrifty ideas for kitchen items? List your favorites below!

No comments:

Post a Comment